Semi truck radiators play a crucial role in the cooling system of large commercial vehicles. The cooling system is essential for maintaining the optimal operating temperature of the engine, preventing overheating, and ensuring efficient performance.
How does a radiator work in a semi truck?
The primary purpose of a radiator in a semi truck is to dissipate heat generated by the engine during combustion. Coolant, which is a mixture of water and antifreeze, circulates through the engine and the radiator. The coolant absorbs heat from the engine and carries it to the radiator, where it releases the heat before returning to the engine to repeat the process.
Semi trucks are equipped with cooling fans to enhance heat dissipation. The fan helps maintain airflow through the radiator, especially when the truck is stationary, or operating at low speeds or in a high ambient temperature.
What are semi truck radiators made of?
Dura-Lite semi truck radiators are constructed with durable materials such as Steel, Aluminum, Brass, Plastic or a combination of these and other materials. They offer excellent heat dissipation properties and ensure the radiator's longevity in demanding operating conditions.
Dura-Lite has led the field in semi truck cooling for over three decades. The quality of our design and manufacturing process’s lead to greater durability and longevity and that’s what makes us different from our competitors.
Semi Truck Radiator Replacement
Replacing a semi truck radiator is a complex task that involves several steps. It's important to follow proper procedures to ensure the new radiator functions effectively and the cooling system operates efficiently.
Please note, the steps below are intended as a general guide. They do not apply to every semi truck radiator replacement and the steps required may differ according to the vehicle make, model and year. It's very important to consult the truck's service manual for specific instructions related to your vehicle. If in doubt, consult the Service Department at your OE Dealer.
- Safety Precautions: Ensure the engine is cool before starting the replacement. Disconnect the truck's battery to avoid electrical accidents.
- Drain the Coolant: Place a drain pan under the radiator. Open the radiator drain valve or remove the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant.
- Remove Radiator Shroud and Fan (if required): Disconnect/remove the fan (if required) and then remove the fan shroud from the radiator.
- Disconnect Hoses and Transmission Lines: Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. If applicable, disconnect the transmission cooler lines.
- Remove Mounting Bolts: Locate and remove the mounting bolts securing the radiator.
- Remove the Old Radiator: Carefully lift and remove the old radiator from the engine compartment.
- Install the New Radiator: Place the new radiator in position and tighten the mounting bolts.
- Reinstall Fan (if required) and Shroud: Re-install the fan (if required) and install the fan shroud.
- Refill Coolant: Fill the radiator with the appropriate coolant as recommended by the manufacturer. Bleed air from the cooling system and reconnect the battery.
- Check for Leaks: Pressure test the cooling system at the manufacturer’s recommended pressure to ensure there are no leaks. If no leaks are present, start the engine. Monitor for any coolant leaks while the engine is running and ensure the hoses clamps are tight.
- Recycle the old radiator and coolant in an environmentally friendly manner.
How long does a semi truck radiator truck last?
The lifespan of a semi-truck radiator can vary based on several factors, including the quality of the radiator, the truck's operating conditions, maintenance practices, and environmental factors. Generally, a well-maintained and high-quality radiator in a heavy-duty truck can last for many years if there is no physical damage.
Semi truck radiators built by Dura-Lite are stronger, tougher, and longer lasting and are extensively used in the heavy duty truck, transit bus, motorcoach, motorhome, industrial, agricultural and construction markets.
Find out more about Semi Truck Radiators from Dura-Lite on our website
When Only The Best Will Do - Dura-Lite!